Saturday, July 30, 2011

BitterSweet Challenge

Our latest challenge was revealed at our July meeting. The theme was "Bittersweet." The following picture was chosen by Emmie Seaman who said we could be inspired by the picture/design, the colors, or the word bittersweet.

Here is a mosaic of all of the 12 x 12s. Then they follow individually.



Mother's Day Gift - Maureen Ashlock
These Lilies were given to me  by my Grandsons on Mother's Day and they bloom around that day each year. I  collaged three photoshop pictures  together to make the 3 D design.

Bittersweet - Lettie Blackburn
Since I love both painting and art quilting, I decided to combine them...
and 12x12 is a good way to experiment!

Jake - Carol Bormann
The image, based on a photo by Susan Brown, shows her son immersed in a ball pit. The colors of the balls were altered to mimic the cluster of bittersweet. The technique is photo transfer and appliqué with quilted accents. 
I really enjoyed this challenge. Actually, I have had a lot of fun with exploring new avenues with all of our challenge pieces. The process is a great idea.
Butterflies and Bittersweet - Dianna Callahan

Emma - Cathy Jeffery
It is so bittersweet to have a kitty for 18 years and have to say goodbye.

Bittersweet At Night - Kathy Kansier
My 12 x 12 Bittersweet quilt portrays a basket of Bittersweet branches.  I think of the plant as one often used in folk art and it seemed right to show it in this way. I arrived at my title because I stayed up all night making this the night before it was due.

Bittersweet - Lily Kerns
My "Bittersweet" piece will serve as a class sample for five different classes:  "Stained Glass Techniques";  "Abstracting from Nature";  "Designing for Foundation Paper Piecing"; and "Almost Mondrian".  I will also adapt it for an Ozark Garden block.

Bittersweet - Donna Olson

Waiting - Roberta Raney
"My bittersweet quilt is a photo of my mother in 1952 superimposed on a picture of bittersweet.  My mother is wearing my father's Army jacket as she awaits his return from Korea.  He died in Korea shortly after this picture was taken."  I must say this little quilt is much more bitter than sweet but 'tis what it is.

Pixeled - Sheryl Schleicher
I laid a grid on the photo and then did an abstract pixel of each square using the grunge fabrics.  It was a lot of fun to do and definitely a technique I will use again just for the sheer fun of it.  Fun to quilt, too!

Bittersweet Abstract - Emmie Seaman
The background is a mosaic of torn and cut squares and rectangles of fabric, then quilted to hold them down. The two blue lines and the circles are fused on top with some decorative stitching and beads added.

Bittersweet Memories - Lucy Silliman
I returned to a style of design that I used for many of my pieces that went to judged shows.  Since I’ve given up showing, it’s a little bitter, but sweet in that I’ve moved on to other things.

Blue Grid  - Diane Steffen

Night Shade - Merrilee Tieche
I believe the 12 x 12 format is perfect for trying out new techniques as well as inspirations.  Nightshade incorporates several layers of paint, writing and fabric, giving the 2 dimensional surface more depth.

2 comments: